What is hand therapy?
Hand, wrist, elbow and shoulder (upper limb) injuries and conditions are common. Optimal function of the upper limb is essential for good quality of life.
Hand therapy is the art and science of rehabilitation of the upper limb - shoulder to finger tip.
Accredited Hand Therapists and Associate Members of the AHTA assess and treat upper limb:
- Chronic pain
- Trauma: severe crush, lacerations or amputations
- Peripheral nerve injuries – carpel tunnel syndrome, radial tunnel syndrome and ulna neuritis
- Tendonopathies – a painful condition involving the breakdown of cartilage in your tendons eg tennis elbow, golfers elbow, De Quervain's and trigger finger
- Conservative and post-operative after joint replacement
- Arthritis management
- Focal dystonia
- Thoracic outlet syndrome
- Sports injuries
- Workplace injuries and
- Shoulder injuries: rotator cuff, bursitis, frozen shoulder.