Join us and celebrate Hand Therapy Week, 7 – 13 June 2021
We invite our members to take part in our competitions and activities to celebrate the work you love. And at the same time, bring awareness and appreciation to the hand therapy field.
Posters: A general hand therapy poster will be available here from Wednesday 19 May 2021. Also find patient information posters at this link https://www.ahta.com.au/resources/patient-information-handouts-posters. They make a great wall display.
Competition 1: Best Video
- Script (sample) at this link – You may use this sample script, edit as you wish, or create a completely new script.
- $500 for the best public health entry and
- $500 for the best private practice entry
- The video must be consumer targeted and the theme is "Choose Hand Therapy"
- Participate as an individual or in a group
- Each participant receives 5 hours for contribution to the profession
- The entrant must be an AHTA full member or associate member.
- The entry must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11.59 pm on 13 June 2021.
You can use your phone and get assistance from younger family members or utilise media departments within your workplace (public hospitals). Permission must be provided by those individuals that appear in the video for the video to be used for promotional purposes. The AHTA has a form available for this purpose.
Plan ahead if you wish to use a workplace media department – you may need to book time.
Here are some examples if you are looking for inspiration
Competition 2 – Best 'Clinical Pearl'
- Submit 100 words or less plus at least three pics to illustrate the clinical pearl
- $100 for the best public health entry and
- $100 for the best private practice entry
- Each entry will receive 2 hours for contribution to the profession
- Entries close Friday 4 June 2021
- The entrant must be an AHTA full member or associate member
- All entries will be published on socials, Fingerprint and BLOGS on the AHTA website
- Winner will be the entry with the most ‘likes’ on Facebook and LinkedIn (combined total)
How else can I be involved?
Send kits with Hand Therapy Week promotional items, hand-shaped cookies (get your family cooking and involved) and a brochure (AHTA has these) explaining the benefits of hand therapy to physician's offices and other referral sources.
Hold a practice/hospital department-wide kick-off party Monday and invite a respected key stakeholder to talk about a hand therapy practitioners role in improving patient outcomes.
Record a Hand Therapy Awareness Week message on your practice answering machine, or ask your reception staff to include it in their greeting when they answer the phone.
Ask your local newspaper to include a photo and article of a patient story and announcing Hand Therapy Awareness Week.
Offer the services of your staff to speak to local groups, such as high school, a local junior sports club ie football, cricket or basketball, health clubs, the YMCA, Rotary and or Lion's Clubs.
Appoint a Hand Therapy Awareness Week celebration team -- share the work.
Send a special "thank you" letter or message to your patients and doctors you work with.
Hold a (virtual) open house at your practice, and consider focusing on certain treatments or conditions (e.g. osteoarthritis).
Design fun baskets of hand cookies/candies to give to local schools, healthcare facilities or referring physicians. Include hand therapy statistics and benefits.
Recognize your hard-working hand therapy employees with a certificate of appreciation or an early finish.
Hold an appreciation dinner or happy hour for your hand therapy staff.
Sponsor a Hand Therapy Week poster contest and have employees' children and local schools participate. Not only will you get great designs you can display, you'll educate children at an early age on the value of hand therapy.
Be sure all therapists are aware of Hand Therapy Week. Encourage them to suggest ways to observe it.