Orthotic Fabrication Mobilisation Course - BRI, PER, SYD Sep 2020
BOOKINGS NOW CLOSED.
Refer to Course profiles for information about the Orthotic Mobilisation course.
This information below is specific to particpants of the September course.
The practical session day will require self-catering due to COVID-19 food handling restrictions.
Workshop content and dates:
1. PowerPoint Lecture: Anatomy and Theoretical Principles - Delivered online via Zoom 16 September 2020 7pm AEST
2. PowerPoint Lecture: Biomechanical Principles - Delivered online via Zoom 23 September 2020 7pm AEST
3. PowerPoint Demonstration/Discussion: Mobilising forearm splint demonstration & Case reviews / Problem Solving / Q&A - Delivered online via Zoom 30 September 2020 7pm AEDT
4. Demonstrations and practical sessions - Delivered in Brisbane, Perth and Sydney in practical 'hubs' on 11 October 2020 (numbers pending). 8am -6pm local time.
- Serial Static & Static Progressive Single Digit Mobilisation (Extension)
- Dynamic & Static Progressive Mobilisation Orthosis with Low Profile Outrigger
- (Hand-based flexion and extension)
- Torque Transmission Orthoses (Radial nerve Palsy)
- Mobilising using hinged joint orthosis (Wrist flexion/extension)
- Mobilising for using springs (PIPjt extension)
5. Short exam - online via Zoom 25 October 2020 7pm AEDT
6. Assignment - submitted via email 22 November 2020
About the presenter - Melissa James
BSC. Occupational Therapy, Accredited Hand Therapist as awarded by the Australian Hand Therapy Association
Melissa has worked in hand therapy for over 25 years. She graduated from the University of Queensland in 1991 with honours and a university medal. She completed a Post- Graduate Diploma in Hand and Upper Limb Rehabilitation (Curtin University) in 1997. She has been a full member of the Australian Hand Therapy Association since 1996, including serving as Queensland State Representative.
Melissa has worked in both public and private sectors and now has her own private practice, Bayside Hand Therapy, in Brisbane. Her teaching experience includes teaching splinting/orthotics to under-graduate occupational therapy students at the University of Queensland for several years, as well as running many courses on other hand therapy related topics. Melissa has been a presenter of the AHTA orthotic fabrication courses since 2006.
About the presenter - Terra Bredy
OT, CHT, Accredited Hand Therapist as awarded by the Australian Hand Therapy Association
In 1996, Terra graduated with a degree in Occupational Therapy from the University of Western Ontario, Canada. Since that time, she has worked in a variety of public and private therapy clinics throughout Canada and the United States and, in 2002, she obtained a certification in Hand Therapy. She became a full member of the Australian Hand Therapy Association (AHTA) in 2009 and served as the Queensland Divisional Representative in 2013. During a brief stint in California from 2014 to 2017, Terra was an Adjunct Professor at Stanbridge University where she lectured at both the undergraduate and postgraduate levels, and also served as a postgraduate research advisor on projects focussed on Yoga as a therapeutic modality for CRPS and on goniometric measurement techniques for wrist flexion/extension. Terra is an Accredited Hand Therapist with the AHTA and a Certified Hand Therapist with the HTCC. She is based in Brisbane where she works as a Clinic Coordinator with EKCO Hand Therapy and as the owner/operator of LeatherWorks Splinting, fabricating custom leather orthotics.