Assessment and Treatment of the Wrist Course - Sydney
This 2-day course teaches participants to perform an accurate assessment and clinical diagnosis of wrist pain and management of frequently seen conditions.
Wrist anatomy relating to real-life clinical presentations will be covered in depth and in an interactive and engaging way. Practical components include surface anatomy, special tests of the wrist, complete wrist assessment formula and rehearsal.
At the completion of this course, therapists will have:
- a high level of competency in wrist injury assessment and management, commensurate with that of a primary practitioner.
- Comprehensive functional understanding of the applied anatomy and biomechanics of the carpals and wrist complex, including the DRUJ
- X-ray reading practical and worksheet
- Accurately palpate carpals, joints, ligaments, tendons and muscles of the wrist
- Thorough understanding of the special tests pursuant to the diagnosis of wrist pain: relevance, reliability and validity
- A comprehensive objective examination of the wrist. Demonstration and practical
- Clinical practice guidelines for commonly seen conditions in private practice such as fractures, carpal instabilities, tendinopathy, arthritis and CTS
- Practical sessions: Familiarisation and application of fiberglass casts
- Practical sessions: Exercise prescription and pearls
- Practical session: Joint mobilisation
This course is aimed at a less advanced private practitioner OR an experienced therapist who has worked in the hand therapy field but has NOT BEEN REQUIRED to assess and diagnose wrist pain and injury.
Physiotherapists, occupational therapists and hand therapists working as, or hoping to work as primary contact health practitioners, required to accurately assess and diagnose wrist pain and injury as well as provide conservative management. Also suitable for those wishing to improve their wrist skills in the public hospital system, especially ED departments.
This course has pre-reading, a post-course assignment and an examination, which will be completed at the end of the second day of the course.
Professional Development Credit
This is a certificate workshop, so participants are encouraged to undertake the assessment that will allow them to claim 50 CPD hours for attendance at the two-day course, and successful completion of case study and written exam. Participants not wishing to undertake assessment may claim 16 hours credit for attendance at the two-day course. For those wishing to apply to become an Accredited Hand Therapist with the AHTA, this is an elective course and successful assessment and completion of all components is a requirement for your application.
Course and Booking Enquiries
To book your place, please ensure you are signed in or create an account and then click "Purchase Event" below. Discounts apply for Associates and Accredited Hand Therapists. The registration costs for Assessment and Treatment of the Wrist are:
Accredited Hand Therapist $720
To become a member of the Association please click here.
Registration Closing Date: 1 December (or until fully booked)
To ensure appropriate catering, please note any dietary requirements when completing the online registration form. Please note that not all requirements can be catered for at all venues.
Please read the Education Cancellation Policy prior to booking your place on this course.
For other enquiries, please contact email@example.com
Intellectual Property Disclaimer
By registering for this course you agree that during the course, any contributions verbally or in writing which you make in regards to improving, altering or amending the content of the course, may be used by the AHTA in subsequent courses and will become the intellectual property of AHTA.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any queries in relation to this disclaimer.
About the presenter - Karen Fitt
PT, Accredited Hand Therapist as awarded by the Australian Hand Therapy Association
Karen is a Past President of the AHTA, a full member since 1993 and the Director of Melbourne Hand Rehab (est. 1993).
About the presenter - Crystal Goodwin
OT, Accredited Hand Therapist as awarded by the Australian Hand Therapy Association
Crystal is the co-director of Melbourne Hand Rehab and co-presenter of this course. Crystal graduated with a Bachelor of Occupational Therapy in 2006 and has over 12 years of experience in hand therapy.