Join the AHTA
WHY JOIN THE AHTA? (Step 1 of 3)
The Australian Hand Therapy Association Inc. (AHTA) is Australia’s only professional association representing Practitioners of Hand Therapy.
The AHTA provides support for its members through continuing education, professional development, networking and representation at state and national levels.
The AHTA also continues to represent practitoners of hand therapy to lobby private health insurers and professional indemnity insurers for improved remuneration rates, and liaises with government bodies regarding recognition of our profession.
The AHTA provide a media contact and public voice for our growing area of specialisation. In addition rigourous membership criteria allows for protection of Hand Therapy as a specialist area for Occupational Therapists and Physiotherapists.
Join your national representative association and help promote your profession, your skills and build your career.
AHTA offers 6 levels of membership:
- Member (Clinician, Educator and Honorary/Life Member)
- Newsletter Subscriber
Membership types are based on application and level of experience.
All membership levels feature access to the quarterly AHTA Newsletter, which includes member articles, practice tips, and employment opportunities, in addition to the e-news, which is the monthly online newsletter.
Additional benefits for associate and full members include:
- Reduced member rates for many continuing education opportunities including the Annual Conference and other AHTA courses and workshops. Free attendance at divisional meetings.
- Access to the EBSCO Research Databases, Rehabilitation and Sports Medicine Source, Medline with full text and CINAHL plus with full text as well as full text journal access to Journal Of Hand Therapy, Journal of Hand Surgery and Hand Clinics, through Science Direct for all Members and Associates.
- Access to the Members Only section of the Web site which provides the membership list, divisional meeting minutes, post graduate studies information, current and archived Hand ENews, all library resources, current and archived newsletters and the ability to book courses and workshops online.
- Access to our FREE National Webinar Program
- Access to information about international Hand Therapy activities and opportunities to network with hand therapists all over the world.
- Scholarships & Research Grants
The following research scholarships and bursaries are available through the AHTA.
-Research Schoarship (may include rural projects and equipment requests) up to $10,000
-Philanthropic Scholarship Up to $4,000
In addition, full members also receive the added benefits of:
- Inclusion of name and professional details/contacts in the Membership Directory, which is open to the public on the website and published and circulated to all full members.
- Professional acknowledgement of your expertise through use of the post-nominals Member of the AHTA.
Eligibility for full membership:
- Minimum of three years equivalent full-time experience post-graduation as an Occupational Therapist or Physiotherapist and State Registration where appropriate
- Minimum of 12 months Associate membership of the AHTA, or other IFSHT recognised association
- Minimum 3600 hours experience as a practicing hand therapy clinician
- A letter of recommendation from a full member of the AHTA or a therapist registered with the AHTA Mentor Program, who facilitated the membership process.
- Completion of 300 hours of professional development/education within the maximum time frame of the last five years, or current Certification of Hand Therapy (CHT).
- Eligibility for “Educator” member can be found in our by-laws.
- Eligibility for "Conferred membership" can be found in our by-laws and in the Frequently Asked Questions in the Join AHTA section of this website.
Eligibility for Associate Membership:
- Practising qualified Occupational Therapist or Physiotherapist
- State Registered where applicable
- Letter of recommendation by a full member of the AHTA or AHSS
SUBSUBSCRIPTION RATES - 1 JANUARY 2013 TO 31 DECEMBER 2013
All amounts are quoted in Australian Dollars inclusive of GST, and can be paid by direct debit. Visa and MasterCard are available as payment options, however, a 3% surcharge will apply if using this method.
Application (Administration) Fees*:
New Full Member $77.00
Upgrade to Full Member $77.00
Annual Membership Fees:
Newsletter Subscriber **$77.00
Divisional Interest Group per meeting (non members) $30.00
All applicants, and those applying to upgrade their membership from Associate to Full Member, will be required to pay a non-refundable Application Fee. This is an administration fee and is in addition to subsequent membership fees. Once applications are approved by the AHTA Management Committee, new members are invoiced for membership fees from the date their applications are approved for a period of 12 Months. Membership will not be considered active until these fees are paid in full.
** AHTA newsletters will be forwarded to any person who pays the appropriate annual subscription. The initial subscription will be called an application fee and will cover the first year's subscription. A newsletter subscriber will neither receive, nor be entitled to receive, any other benefits.
Click here to access the Application Information